Sunday, November 13, 2016

Bruised

This has been a shitty week and I am still extremely numb because of the election results.  

While I knew that there was an intolerance in this country, I didn't fathom the depths of the hatred and misogyny.  Yes I saw it through Trump's rallies but that silent (and let's just call it what it is - white) "majority" that voted for him is quite possibly the worst of all of it.

For all of them who say that they aren't x, y, or z - yes you are.  Because if you voted for Trump despite the campaign that he ran and despite his misogyny and despite the statements he made against anyone who wasn't white and male, then yes you are.  You don't get a pass for standing by silently and saying you voted because you want better financial results.  You don't get a pass on all the hatred because you are now part of that movement, like it or not.

How any woman could have voted for him is unfathomable to me.  And yet I know that women consistently date and marry misogynistic men and let men get away with assault and excuse their behaviors and their comments even though essentially all women (and sadly some young girls) alive today throughout the entire world have had to deal with a man's unwanted attention, words, touch or assault.  To vote for a man who has verbalized his own sexual predatory actions is unconscionable.  Women need to support women and stop directly OR indirectly endorsing words, threats and actions against women.

I work with many white males and many Trump supporters (many who have only now just come out of the closet).  If you have to stay silent on your support for a candidate that speaks volumes.  VOLUMES.

I am sickened.  I am numb.  And I feel that I need to do something.  I, in a completely uncharacteristic manner, went money-crazy on Friday when I was off work.  I spent money on things I would never buy at a big box store.  Then I came home and spent the money I had transferred to my brokerage account buying a few shares of ETFs.

Then I completely lost it, transferred $2,000 from my savings account to my brokerage account and bought 50 shares of Unilever (UL) stock.  $2,000!!!  WTF!  I technically bought these shares on margin since I didn't have the actual funds in my brokerage account when I bought them.  Ultimately, I'm happy to have the stock but if it turns out that I don't get them (banks were closed on Friday so the cash transfer won't go through until Monday...), I will live with that.  I believe I have until Wednesday to have the cash in my account so I should be good.  

But seriously Pru?!

Also made the decision that I need to donate money to causes that will fight against everything that Trump said OR implied he was for during his horrible campaign.  I am going to aim to do this on a monthly basis and to be consistent with it.  This likely means that monies directed towards savings/investments will decrease since my income isn't increasing.  But it's the right thing to do.

And for those who say or think that Trump may become more "presidential" or that it was just "campaign talk", what does that say about the candidate you voted for?  That he said things that were horrible to get people's vote?  If it wasn't true or if he didn't intend to follow through then he had about the same respect for the people he was courting as he has for everyone else.  Zero.

Diverting some money to charities to fight for people's rights is the right thing to do.

Not interested in having any Trump supporter read this blog or comment in this space (although clearly I won't know unless you specifically say so).  IRL the same goes - I may have no choice in working with you but in my personal life I don't want to be within 10 feet of you.

I refuse to be tolerant of intolerance.  It is not up to women to teach men not to be misogynistic or to show men that yes we are just as equal as they are.  Similarly, it is not up to nonwhites to prove to whites that they have the same right to exist on this planet and to have the same good life as they do. 

Now, to hopefully discourage any Trump supporters from reading this blog, I need to add some language to the blog.

Pru

6 comments:

  1. I am a long time reader and enjoyer of your blog. I would hate to think I'm not welcome here if I'm not a fan or supporter of Hilary. In fact I'm Canadian. I enjoy your blog because I suspect we are of similar age but have dramatically different lives so I enjoy hearing how you manage you money. But if you don't want me here simply because I don't support Hillary that's just as exclusionary and discriminatory as some of the things you note. I hope you can be open minded and share your writings with all who are looking to read and shut out those who you see as less than you. Sincerely, a long time reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regardless of whether or not you are American, if you would have voted for Donald Trump, I'd rather you find another blog to read. Anyone who would support someone like him either because of the campaign he ran or despite the campaign he ran is not welcome here.

      Delete
  2. It's a crazy time, Pru. And I think you're right that it's time to stand up for the causes we believe in and fight injustice and hate wherever we see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! I like to think that I have stood up in person when I have seen people being treated unfairly (I know for a fact I have done so at the office and have reaped the punishment). But I believe that I like many many others have become too complacent. I am privileged - full stop. And I need to do better.

      Delete
  3. Your neighbours here in the north are absolutely horrified at the election results as well. I still feel sick about it and somehow feel like we're still living in this horrible nightmare that I hope we'll wake up from.

    I feel it would be short-sighted to comment on policy and strategy as someone who is not a US citizen or resident, but as a person I'm entitled to comment on human decency or the complete lack thereof and I feel sick that someone who holds those values can rise to the most powerful position in the Western world. I hate the "that's just campaign talk" excuse because we live in a world where someone has walked into a nightclub and opened fire because they hate others/hate themselves, and where the glass ceiling still exists and abuse against women still exists and violence against transgender individuals exists and the last thing we need is a leader that encourages division, intolerance and hate - whether it's "just campaign talk" or not. How can we tell young boys in a country that allowed Brock Turner to get off with just a slap on the wrist to treat women with respect, when now their new leader is a misogynist pig? How can we teach children that we should all love each other as equals when their president wants to build a PHYSICAL WALL to keep people who aren't the same skin colour or cultural background out?

    I hope there are many more Prus out there, vowing to help the charities and the organizations that are still fighting to support right and just causes and viewpoints, even if the current political regime is aligned against them. I'm sending you and my other American neighbours all the positive energy in the world right to help find the silver linings where they don't seem possible, and the strength to keep fighting when your voices seem drowned out.

    ReplyDelete

Positive comments are always welcome. Negative comments will be deleted. Selling something - ain't gonna happen. I'm not a financial adviser and you're probably not either. Careful what you recommend.