Friday, December 30, 2016

My 2017 Annual Budget - Part 3 of 3

This is the final part of my personal 2017 annual budgeting series.  Now let's talk about what isn't included but definitely has an impact on my budget.

First off right now I do have a flatmate on a short-term (but unknown time) basis.  I receive a tiny amount each month to offset their costs.  I do not factor that into my income but the extra costs I have is factored into my expenses.  (I am using the monies they give me to top-up a savings account that is not a part of this blog.  Once this person is settled, I may simply give them back the money to purchase furniture etc.)

Regarding the above, I am still deciding whether to take a small amount (say $40) each month and spend it on myself.  But at this point I don't need it or want anything so this may not happen.  I may also take some of the money and use it to buy a piece of furniture to better accommodate our living situation.  Problem is that I don't know how long this person will be here and once gone neither of us may want the item.  Hmmm...still thinking about this one.

In addition, I use a cash back credit card most of the time.  In 2016, these rewards have equaled about $320.  I haven't spent those funds so they are available to me in 2017.  And of course I will earn more in 2017.  It is not a huge amount but it is there.  Right now I am just going to accumulate the rewards and apply it toward something in 2017 (travel, the holidays?).

Speaking of travel, I have a lot of air miles and hotel points.  I'd like to start using them in 2017.  Not sure what they will translate into.

Finally, I do have some gift cards purchased in 2016 at some sort of a discount (or for extra cash back rewards).  Those will be used in 2017 for splurge (restaurants) or groceries or possibly even home repairs/maintenance.

And that's it!

Pru

No comments:

Post a Comment

Positive comments are always welcome. Negative comments will be deleted. Selling something - ain't gonna happen. I'm not a financial adviser and you're probably not either. Careful what you recommend.