Saturday, March 5, 2016

Let the money come pouring in!

Okay that title is a tad misleading.  But just saying "Dividends Update" would have been a bit boring.  One day in the not-so-distant future, however, the money will be pouring in me hopes! :-)

But I have received a bit of money.  Specifically I received $0.09 in my money market settlement fund on 2/29/2016.  The cash that is in there is just in a holding pattern until I can deposit more cash in the next couple of weeks and then invest it properly.  But that is 9 cents that I will gladly take!

And on March 1st, my Intel stock (INTC) paid me a princely (princessly) sum of $6.50.  (It was actually 0.217 shares that were reinvested at a price of $29.93.)

In less than 3 months I have earned $10.64 or about $1.50 over the past 7 weeks.  Not bad, not bad eh?

That $10.64 will buy me a lunch (sandwich and chips).  Or it can buy me 5-6 boxes of non-sale pasta that would last me over a month eaten every day.  Right now it would buy me 2 bags of 3-4 lb oranges.  

It isn't quite enough to pay any of my bills.  (My lowest bill is my utility one and that is $40 for the last month - bill received yesterday.)  But I am definitely on track to pay a few utility bills this year just on the basis of a few dividend paying stocks.  

I should receive a few more dollars this month since most of my stocks and my mutual funds pay on a quarter basis.  Stay tuned!

The Dividends & Capital Gains page has been updated.

Pru

4 comments:

  1. I find dividends SO impossible yo get excited about. For me, it doesn't mean much if I got a dividend of say eight bucks, but the stock price is down ten bucks.

    Maybe I'm glass half empty ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon! Thanks for commenting. You are not a glass half empty kind of person. It just really depends on what your objectives are for investing. If you are looking to sell the stock (especially in the near-term), then you want the value to go up. But if you are focused more on dividends, then what matters more is that the stock is consistently paying those dividends out.

      The beauty of dividends is that you still have the stock. And if you are a long-term investor (which I hope I am), then if you set those dividends to reinvest, you just keep getting more shares of stock (albeit partial shares). Getting more shares of stock (via dividends) can also help you if the stock value doesn't rise as much as you had hoped because the dividends are essentially free.

      Also I am trying to look at dividends as an income stream which is why I compare it to what I can buy with that money.

      Finally over the long-term, the value of the stock *should* rise. Since I don't plan to sell any time soon (hopefully) I *should* get the benefit of both an increase in the price of the stock as well as free money/stock (via dividends).

      Delete
  2. All my divs are set to auto reinvest, so I don't view as income but rather part of stock activity. Interesting POV none the less. Happy Sunday and good luck with your goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are set to reinvest as well. In about 10 years though it may become my income so I'm just trying to keep it real :-)

      Happy Sunday!

      Delete

Positive comments are always welcome. Negative comments will be deleted. Selling something - ain't gonna happen. I'm not a financial adviser and you're probably not either. Careful what you recommend.