Monday, October 24, 2016

Investment Pivot - Buying shares :-)

Well I wasn't planning to purchase anything this month but I changed my mind.  If I'm honest I don't like the idea of just having money sitting there in the settlement fund.

I want to be investing each month - important to be consistent.  Now I have a lot of financial goals which spreads the money around a bit more than I'd like.  If I am to invest each month, then any purchases of stock needs to be done when I get a tax refund or a bonus of sorts.  The monthly investments will then be just focused on ETFs and mutual funds for the most part.

Ultimately, I'm okay with this.  I don't plan to have that many individual stocks anyway.  

Back to today.  I purchased 5 shares of my global REIT ETF (VNQI), 2 shares each of my dividend ETFs (VYM and VYMI), and then tossed in the remaining $95 into my Energy mutual fund.  Sexy it ain't but I'm hoping it will do the job and that in 10 years (oops almost 9 years now) I can look back and see some nice balances.

I tallied up the figures and as of 9/30, I invested just over $8K.  I think that's impressive.  It is money that could have been dribbled away here and there.  The goal is to invest $100K in 10 years or an average of $10K/year.  I'd say I'm well on my way :-)

I'm behind on my savings goals so will need to ramp that up in the coming years.  I was OK with this since I thought it was more important to put money into the stock market.  I still agree with this but know that a bit more needs to be going towards the savings starting in January.

Pru

2 comments:

  1. That's an impressive amount invested! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it is so important for everyone to just try to save or save and invest what they can each month. I am able to save/invest more than many but I believe that everyone will be surprised at how it can quickly add up! :-)

      Delete

Positive comments are always welcome. Negative comments will be deleted. Selling something - ain't gonna happen. I'm not a financial adviser and you're probably not either. Careful what you recommend.