Sunday, February 26, 2017

Strategy change? Possibly...

This past election has proven to me that people do not uniformly and consistently act in their self-interest.  This leads me to question how rationale the market is.  It certainly isn't the first time I have questioned the basic tenets of economics :-)

The market cannot climb forever.  At least not if history has any say.  I continue to believe that we are on the cusp of a downturn.  The question is just how soon it will appear.  

Right now I believe there are a lot of speculators out there drunk on the idea that Trump is going to shred ALL THE REGULATION (and thereby *free* us all...where is the vomiting emoji?!). There are also some non-speculators (especially at the institutional level) that are probably hedging their bets.  

Now Twump is going to reduce some of the regulations.  That much is clear.  But that doesn't necessarily mean that it will translate into a wonderful thing.  There is also the issue of possible trade wars which would not be a good thing.  There is also the possibility that some of the regulations that are clawed back were some of the really good ones put in place to protect us (us being the average citizen) following the last downturn.  SAD!

All of the above, means that I'm just not sure what exactly to do.  Right now I am transferring a certain level of funds to my brokerage account each month.  I believe in a good market and a bad market, it is important to keep investing.  Consistency is everything.  

I am not investing all the money.  I am investing about half and keeping the remaining half in cash.  It's not a lot.  But I am not willing to put everything into the market right now.  The funds remain in my money market account and can be transferred back to my checking account if need be.  They can also be invested if I see something that I want to purchase.

I will continue to reevaluate this throughout the next year.

Pru

No comments:

Post a Comment

Positive comments are always welcome. Negative comments will be deleted. Selling something - ain't gonna happen. I'm not a financial adviser and you're probably not either. Careful what you recommend.