Sunday, November 27, 2016

Where do I put giving in my list of priorities?

It's a known fact (to me) that I have not prioritized giving.  Like many, I have given some but always with the plan to give more...in the future.

Today I read a wonderful blog post from Our Next Life, frugal bloggers who are planning to retire early - possibly in the next year.  The post is below:

Go Beyond Gratitude

It is interesting how a lot of people that are focused on retiring early or hitting a certain number do give less (on a percentage basis).  Not everyone but many.  Is it because we/they are sheltered from many issues because of either their money or their access to money (via family, via a good job or the ability to get a good job)?  I'm not sure exactly.

One internal struggle that I have is that I know I will have to help support family (both those in my generation and my parent's generation) along with myself because certain family members either did not save when they could or did not make enough to save properly for retirement.  I'm honest with myself to know that I'm not happy about the situation.  It means that I cannot spend my hard-earned money how I would like if I am to be in a position to provide support.  And by support I do not mean a fancy retirement lifestyle - I mean ensuring basic needs are met and there are sufficient funds for needed healthcare.

The above also means that it is very hard for me to part with money even when it is for a good cause.  I simply do not know how much money I will need to support myself and my family (healthcare being the great unknown).  I am also not comfortable relying on the government for support since that and the quality of any support that would be provided is also unknown.  

It is also one of the reasons why I am focused on paying off my mortgage as soon as possible.  Should something happen to me, I would expect (and may even require in an updated estate plan) that my heirs (my family) sell my home rather than live in it.  The monies from such a sale would go farther and would eliminate a huge expense for them (property taxes).

Now I agree with what is said in the Go Beyond Gratitude post.  It is important to give now as well as in the future.  Somehow I have to fit this into my budget, into my financial planning.

I am still working on the 2017 budget (everyone start working on your budgets before the new year arrives - always good to have a plan!) and I am reducing some of the funds that would be sent to my financial goals and diverting them towards charitable (and political giving).  I am also going to test the waters (yet again) with some belt tightening to see if I can eliminate the non-necessities and push those dollars towards donations/contributions.

Yesterday I wrapped up this month's donations by giving to 

Center for Reproductive Rights

and National Organization for Women (NOW) Foundation

I also gave to a local NOW organization (their foundation) and will give to another local NOW foundation.  I spend time in 2 different states so wanted to give to both states. 

My NOW donations were to the nonprofit organizations.  I also intend to give political contributions to NOW organizations as well.  Those will happen in December.

I still have another donation to give locally but I have to also drop off a piece of paper in-person so that will happen next month.  I am also considering a few other organizations (NPR, PBS, environmental, LGBTQ etc.) for donations.  (Suggestions are always welcome!) Oh and I am planning to buy a bunch of toilet paper for my local homeless shelter - debating on whether this will be an online purchase or if I will go to the store.  I plan to buy a lot so logistically speaking online may be easier.

The Go Beyond Gratitude post also brings up the question of donating money or time.  Money is so important because they are businesses (nonprofit though they may be) and their bills need to be paid.  I don't have a lot of time right now.  But to be honest, my time is probably more valuable than money.  While I have given dollars, the truth of the matter is that if I can find the right place to volunteer my time, I will.  

I am well educated, am not a lawyer but can tear through legal documents, am very comfortable with math and numbers and can tear through financial statements (have taken accounting and economics classes), I am extremely good at organizing events (have previously done so for 100-200 people) and spearheading projects, and I can write well (this blog is not an example of the writing I have to do professionally).  

I can perform administrative tasks and would do so without hesitation.  I can watch tots and kids while their parents learn English or study for their GED.  I can tutor children from age 5 through 15 in many subjects.  However, my real value add may be through grant writing, fundraising, reviewing legislation or quite possibly even proposing legislation.  Of course that would be a brand new role to take on and I would need guidance and supervision but I have a good background to build on that could be far more valuable since some organizations have to hire employees to tackle these tasks.

Now I do not say the above to brag but to say it is time to stand up Pru and acknowledge what you can and want to do.  I have some good skills that can be put to good use!  Right now I can donate money.  But as I work towards achieving my financial goals and in a real sense freeing up my time, I want to be in a position to do more.  I don't just want to leave my job, financial goals accomplished, and do nothing.  

The work begins now with continuing to identify organizations and causes that I believe in and that I would want to support with money and with time.  
 
Pru

No comments:

Post a Comment

Positive comments are always welcome. Negative comments will be deleted. Selling something - ain't gonna happen. I'm not a financial adviser and you're probably not either. Careful what you recommend.