Saturday, December 31, 2016

Auld Lang Syne - Goodbye 2016

Well we are finally about to turn the page on another year! (Thank you! Thank you! Thank you Universe!)

I think I have finally come to terms with how my personal financial year turned out.  I am very thankful that I was able to make gains on my financial goals.  However, given the state of the world I am feeling particularly anxious and want to super charge as much as possible in the coming years.

But now it's time for a review of my financial 2016.  First and most importantly, I met my goals:

2016 Financial Goals: 1) Overpay my mortgage by an extra 3%.  I overpaid by 4.17%  (overpaid by 0.88% this month to get below a certain dollar threshold). 2) Invest $6,250 into my new brokerage account.  I invested a total of $11,896.31 - nearly doubling my goal and putting myself on the right track to meet my ultimate goal. 3) Save $625 into my Rewire account.  I saved $660 ($55 each month). 4) Save $625 into my G2H-FU account.  I saved $660 ($55 each month). 5) Save $2,500 into my 2nd Home account.  I saved $2,520 ($210 each month).

My brokerage account balance grew by a good amount but it was mostly due to my investing cash into it.  The original balance as of 1/31/2016 was $37,516.  I invested $11,896 bringing the balance to $49,412.  Reinvested dividends and capital gains gave me an extra $1,737 (woot!) bringing the balance to $51,149.  Gains in the market values thus only totaled $2,610.  It's not a huge amount and it is before tax.  But I must focus on the long-term.

And this year was a decent slaying of a part of my mortgage with a total payoff of approximately 7.31% and moving the needle so that I now have less than 60% remaining of my mortgage.  Very happy about this.

Well that's it for me.  My Pages have been updated:

Ultimate Goals

Brokerage Accounts

Dividends & Capital Gains

KILL My Mortgage!

Actual Savings & Investments
*Savings part not fully updated yet...

Hopefully, for those reading you are ending 2016 on a decent note financially and have made a plan for next year.

Happy New Year's Eve! I will be back soon to post 2017 goals.

Pru

No comments:

Post a Comment

Positive comments are always welcome. Negative comments will be deleted. Selling something - ain't gonna happen. I'm not a financial adviser and you're probably not either. Careful what you recommend.