Sunday, January 1, 2017

Happy 2017! Let's Get Our Savings and Investing On!


A new day, a new year, new goals.

My 2017 Goals
1) Overpay my mortgage by 10%.  Swoon if I can meet or beat this goal.
2) Invest $10,000 in my brokerage account.  Major stretch goal.
3) Save $3,000 in my 2nd Home account.
4) Save $900 in my Rewire account.
5) Save $900 in my G2H-FU account.

The Ultimate Goals have not changed.  This year I am going to flex my frugal muscle as much as possible to meet some stretch goals.  How exactly this will happen will include the following:
- Extra monies (bonus, tax refund etc. these will help me reach #s 1 and 2 above)
- Using a cash back credit card
- Using up points/miles
- Reducing travel
- Being more proactive with regards to discounts, coupons
- Possibly a side gig (assuming I can find the time of course)
- Budgeting for treats and remembering they are treats!
- Using arbitrage for gift cards that can be used for normal expenses or treats
- And gasp! Going without because sometimes that is what you have to do.

Remember, we owe it to ourselves to do our best to achieve our goals.  Let's stay strong this year.

Assess, assess and assess!  Don't double down when you are wrong.  Make changes if you need to - no shame in doing so.

Got goals? Share :-)
Got a blog? Share :-)
Suggest a blog? Share :-)

Pru

4 comments:

  1. Pru, I am truly so inspired by these posts!

    I am just sitting down for a couple hours of budget planning. My focus this year seems to be on "structure". I need to structure my time as well as keep our spending focused on savings and debts--no frills. I usually do get vetoed on some of my ambitious plans (but also get my opportunities to veto a lot of spending) and we end up somewhere in the middle. The more organized I am, the better able I am to steer us in the direction we both agree we want to go.

    Definitely, getting Hubby on board with my plans will help us get there faster. It's my job to remind, remind, remind when "a great deal" comes along and we are tempted to buy something we really don't need!

    I think you've done remarkably in the last year. Thanks so much for sharing your story here--I often have more willpower after reading these types of posts and I get so many ideas from different blogs. Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill! I love reading your blog and your comments because you always remind me of how important having balance is.

      This year I need to tackle the mortgage since that is what is causing me to stress the most. So we press on...cheerfully...(ha ha ha!)

      Thanks for commenting! You are definitely help to motivate me!

      Pru

      Delete
  2. I'm quite confident that you will go above and beyond the 10% - your previous post with all your 2016 wins proves you always outperform your targets! Way to go!!

    It gives me even more encouragement that you are flexing that frugal muscle this year - feels like we're all in this together.

    Let's do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FD I will be kissing the walls of my home if I can do that :-)

      And yes we are all in this together. Fighting to stay afloat, fighting to create the futures we want and fighting to (at the end of it all) be happy because less financial worries/stress and more financial security means happier citizens of the world.

      Let's get moving!

      Delete

Positive comments are always welcome. Negative comments will be deleted. Selling something - ain't gonna happen. I'm not a financial adviser and you're probably not either. Careful what you recommend.