Thursday, January 25, 2018

What if you didn't have it?

Like many people, I carry with me a credit card or two, a bank/ATM card, and some cash.  Right now I am giving myself an allowance of $20 each week.  This can be used for a coffee, a lotto ticket, a snack, or anything else that comes to mind :-)  
Entering 2018 I still had a bit of cash left over so I didn't take out any more money for my allowance.  I spent most of the cash on a planned post-holiday dinner with friends leaving me with $7.  Last week Tuesday I went to the bank to take out some allowance money.  It was after it had closed but I entered to use the ATM.  I put my bag down to get my wallet and had the following thought:

What if you didn't have any money?

Most of us have far more than we need.  A few do not - but the majority are doing OK.  Perhaps not great but okay nonetheless.  And while I do have the typical old lady-bag lady fears/nightmares some times, generally I know that I am okay.  I have money to pay my bills for several months and I don't really think too hard about my day-to-day spending.  Part of the reason is that I am not interested in buying many things (and thus don't) and my income fully covers my needs and wants.

Still, if I want a pack of gum or a coffee, I buy it.  It's only a couple dollars, right?  Not major, right? I have the money so I spend it.

But what if I didn't have the money?  The answer is I wouldn't spend it.

Right now I'm bringing lunch from home which means my grocery money is covering my lunches.  I'm not buying snacks (trying hard!) because I really want to take a nice trip this year.  And aside from that dinner with friends, I haven't needed to spend money besides my weekend errands (e.g. grocery store) and paying bills.

You wouldn't spend it.  With that thought I closed my wallet, put it back in my bag and I left the bank without taking out any money.

It's a thought that has stuck with me for over a week.  And I hope it will stay much longer.  Realistically, I will take more money out of the bank (did so yesterday).  I have specific things that are planned - some needs and some wants and some I'm-not-sure-what-yet.  But if it is not a need, and it is not a major want, then I simply don't want to waste cash.  Perhaps going to the bank less often, carrying around a tiny amount of money is what I need to do to be more successful.

Pru