Saturday, January 23, 2016

Stocks/Portfolio update


It appears as though Vanguard is all ready to go.  My stocks and cash transferred over this past week.  I have about $200 sitting in cash in the settlement fund ready to be deployed.  This cash came from previous dividends on the stocks I own as well as the sale of partial shares of stock which I completed this week.  (I was only able to transfer whole shares of stock to Vanguard.) 


My old brokerage account is technically still open but I am hoping to get that close this upcoming week.  It has taken a lot longer than I had expected!

Below are the (very small amount) of individual stocks that I currently own.  Everything is valued as of Jan 22, 2016:
  • Intel (INTC) - 5 shares - $149.63 value
  • Pepsico (PEP) - 1 share - $95.85 value
  • Starbucks (SBUX) - 20 shares - $1,183.40 value
  • Unilever (UL) - 10 shares - $422.60 value
  • Walmart (WMT) - 1 share - $62.69 value
Total value $1,914.17
It's not a lot but if I needed the money, I'd have the shares to sell.  I started buying the individual stocks for fun and I'm glad that money was spent in the stock market vs. on *stuff*.  And it provides a good starting point to continue investing.

I'd like to continue buying PEP, SBUX, UL and WMT.  I'm on the fence about INTC.  Because Unilever is the cheapest, I will probably start there since I have less money and I need to take into account the $7 fee/trade.  At some point this year I would like to add Proctor & Gamble (PG) to my holdings.  Between UL and PG, I will have a lot of the cleaning world covered!  And I think we all plan to take showers, clean our homes, wash laundry etc. for a long time to come so these are good long-term stocks.

I initially bought SBUX when the stock was much higher a couple of years ago.  I had 10 shares then the stock split 2-for-1 and I ended up with 20 shares at half the price of the stock (at that time).  The price of the stock has since risen which is nice.  (Although not back to its original levels.)

All of these stocks pay dividends which is nice.  They pay quarterly and most of them pay during the calendar quarters (March/June/September/December) although there is maybe 1 at a slightly different time frame.

In Vanguard, all of the dividends have been set to reinvest in the same stock.  It isn't a lot given the small holding but over time it does add up.  Below is a list of the most recent dividends paid in the quarter (and annualized to get an idea of the projected dividends).
  • INTC - $0.24/share; $0.96 annualized
  • PEP - $0.70/share; $2.80 annualized
  • SBUX - $0.20/share; $0.80 annualized
  • UL - $0.32/share; $1.28 annualized
  • WMT - $0.49/share; $1.96 annualized.
I will have to do a post on yield since that is what I will be focusing on for dividend stocks.  Of my 5 stocks, SBUX has the worst current yield while INTC has the highest.  Hmmmm...may need to revisit INTC to determine if I want to buy more.
  
In any case, this weekend I'm stuck inside as there is a blizzard in effect and I am still not feeling 100%.  This means lots of reading.  I'll probably post a few links of good articles that I read and liked.  I'd also like to finalize my first purchases.  I'm hoping to be able to make a trade by the end of next week so will need to figure out which ETF I will buy, the total money to transfer, get that done and then make the trade.  

In terms of stocks, I am going to use the cash that was transferred from my previous brokerage account (the ~$200 mentioned above) to purchase a stock.  For simplicity, that $200 will be included in my overall calculation of how much I've invested as part of this blog's ultimate goals.

Pru

No comments:

Post a Comment

Positive comments are always welcome. Negative comments will be deleted. Selling something - ain't gonna happen. I'm not a financial adviser and you're probably not either. Careful what you recommend.