Friday, January 1, 2016

2016 Goals! AKA that's a good question!

2016 is going to be an interesting year for me - namely it's a transition year for my finances.  

I was unemployed (by choice) for 7 months in 2015.  I used part of my savings to support myself.  I started a new job in mid-December 2015 and so 2016 is about getting back to the level I was at previously so that I can spring forward.  This basically means replenishing a savings account that is not part of this blog's goals.

It also means figuring out how much money I have to play with.  I made the decision with this current job to take a step-down in total compensation in exchange for what I hope will be slightly reduced responsibilities.  The ultimate hope is that this will translate into more flexibility in my personal life to explore areas that are important to me.  From a financial perspective this translates into me receiving a much lower bonus (it's going to be less than half of what I received previously) and it means I cannot supercharge my goals.  I managed to keep my base salary the same; however, I am working in a different geographical area and my taxes have gone up.  So my paychecks are lower - how much lower I will only know in January once I have a normalized paycheck.

(Note in 2016 I may not receive a bonus.  This is due primarily to the date that I started work as well as the fact that my company has a different fiscal year end date and thus pays their bonuses during a different part of the year.  Anything received in 2016 would be a token - say $2,500 or so.  To be conservative, I am assuming nothing for 2016.)

The other issue that will impact 2016 is my 401k monies.  I won't be eligible to contribute to my 401k until July 2016.  Since I normally contribute, this means the paychecks I will receive in Jan-June will be higher than they will be going forward.  My plan is to invest a portion of those monies into a mutual fund I already own (not part of this blog's goals) to sort-of mimic the 401k contributions.  This mutual fund will be different from my IRA which I will contribute to separately.  It just has the effect of reducing my take home salary.

Ultimately, all this means is I have no real clue what my budget is going to look like until July 2016 :-)  But I will manage and adjust as the year goes by.

This is a bit of a crap post about 2016's financial goals but I'm a little bit in limbo because of all of the above.  

Without fully crunching numbers that I don't yet have, I have decided to just write down some goals and start working towards them.  Frankly, if I can be consistent with making any sort of contribution towards these goals, that will be a step in the right direction.   

2016 Financial Goals:
1) Overpay my mortgage by an extra 3%.
2) Invest $6,250 into my new brokerage account.
3) Save $625 into my Rewire account.
4) Save $625 into my G2H-FU account.
5) Save $2,500 into my 2nd Home account.

This adds up to $10,000 plus my mortgage over-payments.  It's far less than what I would ideally like to do in a year but I do have other financial goals in 2016 (like replenishing a separate account) that should not appear going forward.  If I can do more great!  I will just try not to do any less.

One thing to note is that I am putting in less cash to my Rewire and G2H-FU accounts but offsetting that with a little more into my brokerage account.  My investments in the brokerage account will give me dividends that are far more than the interest I would earn on a savings account.  It makes sense to me to invest more in the brokerage account in the beginning to reap this benefit.

Here's hoping 2016 is a very prosperous year for us all!

What are your financial goals for the new year?

Pru

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with your goals for 2016 :-) Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks January! Hope you are doing well!

      Delete
    2. I'm fine thanks. I haven't updated my blog for a while. I have a bit of a writer's blog and my workload is huge at the moment and things in my private life are a bit complicated at the moment. Nothing to worry about but I wouldn't want to talk about it on my blog so if I can't tell the whole story, I can't tell part of it either, if that makes sense? Anyway, you have my email address don't you? If you ever want a chat? I may not write a lot this year, but I will read your blog regularly! x

      Delete
    3. I need to catch up on my blog reading - I know that you just posted something. Will do so this weekend and will comment on your blog or shoot you an email. Be well!

      Delete
  2. The goals are well laid out, and easy to understand (by a financial illiterate aka moi lol) good luck Pru!!!

    ReplyDelete

Positive comments are always welcome. Negative comments will be deleted. Selling something - ain't gonna happen. I'm not a financial adviser and you're probably not either. Careful what you recommend.